Tuesday, February 05, 2008

Sixteen

The children and I returned last Tuesday from a great trip to Texas but... All with colds! Our first flight of the day on our return trip was canceled due to maintenance issues. So we had to rebook for a different flight leaving 12 hours later. Fortunately, we got to go back to Granddad and Mia's for the interim.

And the Lord was exceedingly gracious yet again by arranging a little miracle for us. Jason's dad was originally scheduled to return from Florida via Chicago that same day, but had to get re-routed through Dallas on our same return flight. We were elated! Flying with kids who are LONG past their bedtimes is a little psychotic to begin with, but when we added being sick on top of that (for all of us) I think the result could have made national news had we not been blessed with Grandpa for the long flight.

About one hour from home, the flight attendants were bustling around. In my semi-unconscious state I hadn't noticed. But Grandpa alerted me that someone a few rows back wasn't doing too well. I agreed that he could tell them I am a doctor (albeit a stay-at-home mom doctor), and I was catapulted back into the "medical world". An elderly gentleman had a bit of an "episode" and it seemed the crew was very close to arranging an emergency landing. After talking with the gentleman and doing a very superficial "look-see" as Jason says, I felt like he had probably become light-headed and briefly passed out (vagal-ed). Nevertheless, I asked that paramedics be available upon landing. He was very happy with that arrangement (and when I called a few days later to check on him, had recovered nicely from the incident). I was relieved and thankful that the Lord would use us (me and Grandpa who was "on-duty" with the children).

A very excited Dad (Jason) met us at the airport. And took us home to convalesce. The following days were a blur of sickness, coughing, runny noses, and restless sleep. Two nights after our return, we set a household record. Sixteen. Between the two children, there were sixteen nighttime awakenings. I honestly would not have believed it had I not personally counted... Somehow time was still ticking the next morning and God gave us the grace to persevere.

More about Texas and pictures to come.

No comments: